Join now - be part of our community!

Problems playing new 'TAKEN' BD on AR-51-M

warpfactor
Visitor

Problems playing new 'TAKEN' BD on AR-51-M

Hi,

I have an AR-51-M laptop with a 'MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-220S' BD combo drive. I've not had a problem with playing any disks until now as I assume VAIO update has been keeping me up to date with new Firware.

But I just got Taken with Liam Neeson (released last month) through my online rental service and I put the disk in and it says I need a firmware update. So I go to VAIO update and lo and behold, there is a new firmware update waiting to be downloaded as well as an update for WinDVD, so I download them both.

Now however, The disk plays the Fox logo sequence and then just stops and freezes the controls. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried all the other DVDs and BDs I have to hand and they all work fine so it's just this one.

My first thought was that it was just a bad disc, but I've checked the Amazon.co.uk forum page for the title and other people with VAIO blu-ray drives have had the same or very similar problems.

Does anyone know if it's a manufacturer defect in this run of discs or if SONY/MATSHITA are just behind on the firmware updates?

Any help is much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
warpfactor
Visitor

UPDATE:

It now seems that since the updates to the firmware and WinDVD I can now not play any recent FOX BDs.

I just tried to play From Russia With Love, that worked three days ago and I'm now having the same problem.

lebond
Visitor

I have had similar problems with my AR51M also...

It started off where it would only play certain BD discs then it wouldn't play any.
So I reset my laptop to the original factory settings by reloading windows vista, this seemed to cure the fault, however after applying several vista and windows updates the problem has returned.

Now it doesn't recognise any BD discs...??????????????????

warpfactor
Visitor

It seems that the problem I've been having is to do with the latest WinDVD update rather than the drive itself. I've borrowed the latest Cyberlink PowerDVD from a friend and that is playing all my BDs fine.