Join now - be part of our community!

Please help I can't play Blu Ray DVDs

Alex_04
Visitor

Please help I can't play Blu Ray DVDs

Hi All

I purchased my first Blu Ray DVD discs today. I connected my FW21L to my Bravia with an HDMI cable put the movie in then the message came up saying;

'your display environment does not support protected content playback'

I didn't know what to do I googled it and found a solution to turn LCD off and just use TV as a monitor by using fn+f7. I thought that was it the movie started playing but while I was watching trailer it crashed. I rebooted and tried it again but no joy. I removed the HDMI connection and tried just to use laptop and put the blu-ray disc in but this time Win DVD didn't even start and I double clicked on my computer to notice that BD Rom Drive (F) doesn't even display the Blu ray disc.

I tried my second Blu Ray title still no joy, Win DVD doesn't start, can't even recognize the blu ray DVD.

I have just tried to play a non blu ray DVD and it plays fine. I even downloaded the latest available WIN DVD software, from Vaio support for Blu ray discs, but still no joy.

Please can anyone help me? My laptop is only 2 months old.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Alex_04,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Yes you are correct normally the "Your display environment does not support protected content playback." message appears if you are trying to displaying your Blu-Ray movie on both your TV and Vaio and pressing the FN & F7 key and selecting HDMI only should allow the movie to play, you can only watch blu-ray movies on either your Vaio or TV not both together.

Have you tried installing the WinDVD BD -8.0 - 8.0.9.670_2 update, if not use the following link to download: WinDVD BD -8.0 - 8.0.9.670_2

Alex_04
Visitor

Hi Thalamus

Thanks for the welcome and help. I have already downloaded the update and installed it, still no joy. Actually DVD tray doesn't even play normal DVDs anymore, any disc I insert, makes a noise a bit like good old icq :wink: oooo oooo every 3 seconds and stops after a minute and when I go to my computer, BD-Drives (F) is displayed not the DVD it should display.

I will back up tomorrow and use the recovery disc to reformat. I don't think it will help, as the DVD tray sounds kaput.

I was looking forward to watching my first Blu-Ray movie on my new laptop & Bravia!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Alex_04,

right Click on the Computer desktop icon and select Properties..

In the new System window Click on Device Manager..

Click Continue on the Use Account Window..

Expand CD/DVD drives

Do you have a warning icons.?

Have you tried right clicking on the drive in Device manager, selecting delete and then restarting your VAIO and allowing the drive to re-install.?

Alex_04
Visitor

Hi Thalamus

Thanks for the advice. I can see 'Optiarc BD Rom BC-5000S' when I expand DVD/CD-ROM drives and there is no warning and when I right click Optiarc BD Rom I can see the options;

Update driver software (I have done and it says it has the latest software anyway)
Disable
Uninstall
Scan for hardware changes
Properties

I have even tried to use recovery disc to reformat and do a factory reset however the DVD tray doesn't even register the recovery disc.

My laptop thinks it doesn't have a dvd tray/drive anymore.

I'd appreciate if you could please tell me what to do next.

Many Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alex_04 and welcome.

If you cannot boot from the drive it sounds like your drive has a fault or the cable has become disconnected and you will have to return it to Sony for replacement.

You could try to do a factory reset from the hard drive recovery partition. To do this connect to AC power and reboot. At the first Vaio logo screen, tap F10 repeatedly. This should start the recovery. Choose a complete recovery and let it run even if it appears to have stopped.

If this fails, call Sony on Monday morning.

:slight_frown:

Alex_04
Visitor

Hi guys, just an update

Good news is I have done a reset from the hard drive by tapping F10, bad news is it has not sorted it out. DVD tray makes the same noise it did before and it doesn't recognize any disc that I try.

I will ring Sony tomorrow for replacement.

Many thanks for all your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hope all goes well with contacting Sony please let us now the outcome..

Alex_04
Visitor

Hi guys just an update. My laptop was picked up on Tuesday and returned on Thursday with a notesheet ticked to say;

The following hardware has been replaced on your unit

'ODD'

I am not quite sure what ODD means but I can only guess as 'Original DVD Drive' anyway the problem has now been sorted and I can play bluray DVDs.

Brilliant service from Sony, fast and satisfactory.