Join now - be part of our community!

Motherboard DIMM socket failure (again) on PCG 316MP

pc017
Visitor

Motherboard DIMM socket failure (again) on PCG 316MP

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Sony have fixed the issue with the motherboard failure on the DIMM sockets in these models?

The reason i ask is that mine failed 1 month out of warranty, took it back to the dealer I bought it from who told me Sony would not repair - end result £600 bill.
Six month warranty offered.

Now 8 months later it's failed, out of the warranty of course.....

Are Sony finally fixing these models as there does seem to be an issue with the ones made in China (green one) being faulty and the ones from Japan (blue one) being ok.

I am getting very frustrated with this now and considering dumping Sony entirely....

Please help.....

Thanks
Paul

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

There have been quite a few posts both here and on the unofficial american Vaio site about the DIMM sockets failing. The sockets on my GRX316SP failed after 13 months. I luckily got mine repaired free because I had arranged a slighly longer warranty due to an earlier issue that I had.

kee-lo_

Yeah I don't think anyone has had any luck with this issue.
I say use 1x612MB and you should be fine.

William
Visitor

Using the one slot is fine until eventually that socket dies too:smileycry:

if you want to see how prevelant the problem is with the GRX & GRV series try this:

http://p200.ezboard.com/funofficialsonyfrm8

The bottom line is that Sony will repair in warranty but out of warranty reach for the chequebook and asyou have found this does guarantee a long and happy life for you and your laptop.

You have already spent a fortune on this laptop and more, my commiserations to you.

William

kee-lo_

Really? The first one can go too?
S**T!

pc017
Visitor

Well what can I say - what a bunch of C**ts.

I think it's time to very publically dump sony - it's fair to assume that if I buy a product I expect it to perform - not to need to shell out £500 every 8 months on the darn thing...............

Suffice to say I am not amused...............

kee-lo_

I can't blame you for not being pleased, it's a disgrace.

Shame on you Sony :triumph:

William
Visitor

I can understand you being peeved especially after PAYING for a repair.

William

kee-lo_

That sucks bad!
Paying for it to be fixed and dying - Sony should be considering a recall (oh and a nice RA desktop to all involved :smileygrin: *zZzZzZ* *buuuuuuzzzzzz* gah I was dreaming again).

phil.howard
Visitor

:slight_smile: Contact E-support and ask about their arrangements to ship back to their repair centre. I had the same problem but Sony collected my machine from home, shipped to Belgium, the Sockets were resoldered and the machine returned. They charged me £81.00 and so far the machine has been fine.
Hope this helps.