Join now - be part of our community!

Haven't used in ages - now battery is dying - what can I do?

rjstep3
Visitor

Haven't used in ages - now battery is dying - what can I do?

I have a beautiful VGN-TX3XP, which I havent't used in ages. With the advent of the netbook craze, I forsook the VAIO in favour of an eee PC, sounds crazy, but it's true.

Now I have to use the VAIO again, and I have found that the battery, which was one of the wonderful things about it, is more or less on its knees. I had stored the VAIO with the battery out of the chassis, which I was told was the right thing to do, but while I used to get up to 6 hours life out of the thing, I now get barely 3.

Is there something I can do about this? Just keep using and re-charging until full life is regained? Or do I have to accept that the battery has died, and I must find a new one?

If I have to find a new one, is there a recommended aftermarket for this sort of thing?

thanks for any help

rjstep3

3 REPLIES 3
pckopat_07
Visitor

unfortunately you can't ...

profile.country.pt_PT.title
luisarn
Explorer

Over time, the actual battery capacity decreases due to electrochemical inefficiencies within each cell. This loss in capacity (aging) is irreversible; it cannot be restored by cycling the battery. Gradually, less and less active material is available within each cell to electrochemically store a charge. Consequently, is normal to experience reduced computer run time.

I don't recommend buying aftermarket batteries since most of them are low-quality and might be dangerous (catching fire).

Sony also started to check the authenticity battery on the new VAIOs to prevent accidents.

rjstep3
Visitor

that was the news I was fearing, but thanks for the posts, it's better to know.

rjstep3