Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disc in laptop is busy, also when everything is loaded in vista

murayaz7
New

Hard disc in laptop is busy, also when everything is loaded in vista

Hi,

Yesterday i received my sony laptop (vaio fw21e). I think i have 1 problem though.
I start the laptop and it boots vista. When its in vista, it loads the icons in the task bar, which is normal. But when all the icons all loaded (this takes about a minute) my hard disc keeps on working for another 5 minutes or something. Its busy with something, but i dont know with what (perhaps its loading something in the background?). This kind of disturbs me, cause i dont see anything happening while the hard disc is making sound for 5 minutes.

Now i know that there are many preinstalled programs on the laptop and i deleted some of them. I also did go to msconfig and disabled some stuff, but this still doesnt work. There are still things that i can disable in startup manager, but i dont know what some stuff mean and if i disable them, i dont know if it will harm something yes or no, so..

Does anyone knows what going on?:D I read somewhere in the forum that i perhaps should delete files in the map C:\Windows\Prefetch. I opend this map and there are many things in it, so i was a bit scared of deleting something. Let alone everything.

So in short: i just got this laptop and when vista is loaded, the hard disc is busy for about 5 minutes with something and i dont know with what and i dont know if its important. I'll appreciate it if somebody could help me with this.

Take care
M

PS: it boots vista fast

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.pt_PT.title
luisarn
Explorer

So in short: i just got this laptop and when vista is loaded, the hard disc is busy for about 5 minutes with something and i dont know with what and i dont know if its important. I'll appreciate it if somebody could help me with this.

Sounds like the SuperFetch and ReadyBoost services are indexing the most used files.
Maybe you could try to go to the control panel and suspend these services and see what happens.

Another suggestion if you want "really fast boot"... Don't shut down the computer and use the hibernate feature :smileygrin: (I use it all the time)

murayaz7
New

Hey, thanks for your reply. I did the things you said and it seems to work so far.
Again, thanks.

Have a nice day