Join now - be part of our community!

Getting an XL-302 to output 5.1 sound

ocommane
Visitor

Getting an XL-302 to output 5.1 sound

I want to be able to set up the PC to output in 5.1. I have a home theatre system linked up through the optical out but the PC only outputs in stereo. If I go to the sound section of the control panel the option to configure, which would allow me to set up 5.1, is greyed out. I can only go into properties which does not give me the 5.1 option. Drivers from Sony Update up to date
Does anyone have 5.1 sound?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
andysp5
Visitor

I've just upgraded my XL-201 to Vista and had the same problem. After searching the www, I discovered that the latest Vista Sigmatel sound driver does not work properly (and it sounds like it hasn't been fixed yet!), and to get the correct surround sound output, you need to use the older driver 6.10.0.5290, which is the original one that the XL-302 came with. I did that and got my 5.1 sound.

PS I never found a search option on this forum either. A real pain.

ocommane
Visitor

There used to be a search option to this forum I think.
Do you know ho I get that driver? Is there any problems with it?
I've contacted Sony but every I've contacted them about this machine the solution is always "If restoring the system to an earlier date does not solve your problem, it may be necessary to run a complete system recovery on your VAIO. To recover using System Recovery please do as follows"

andysp5
Visitor

The driver I mentioned is the original sound driver that came with your 302. If you haven't still got it somewhere, you can logon to Sony Support and download the package of 'original drivers' for the 302.

ocommane
Visitor

Thanks Andy, I've downloaded the original drivers package, deleted the newer one and installed 6.10.0.5290. I go into sound on the control panel configure is still greyed out and under properties, advanced - the only options I get are still 2 channel. Am I doing something wrong here?

andysp5
Visitor

I don't think you do configure 5.1 etc. in the XL at all. I didn't because like you, I found nowhere you could do that. I have my XL201 connected through SP/DIF to my amp and I think it sends through the number of channels it finds in the input stream. For my MP3's it sends 2 channels which my amp can decode into 5.1. For DVD's etc,. it sends through 5.1 and the amp doesn't need to split it up. With the newer driver, I was always getting sterio.
I'm not an expert in this area, so I would be glad if somebody else can verify that I'm talking correct, or talking rubbish!
Andy

ocommane
Visitor

I'm still not getting anywhere so I'm thinking of getting an external sound card. But would I just have the same problem wasting my cash?