Join now - be part of our community!

GeForce 8400M GT 64MB RAM????

Guli87
Visitor

GeForce 8400M GT 64MB RAM????

Hi There,

I have a problem with my VGN-FZ18E.
I can`t update mz graphic card. I modifed Inf file and install new N-vidia drivers (177.92) and mu GPU has still only 64MB. How I can share some memory from system, if I couldn`t do that in Bios?
Anybody has same problem???
(sorry for my english...)

5 REPLIES 5
nio_7
Visitor

There is a driver available here
http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-FZ&m=2684...

This is the Vista Version. If you manage to install this driver properly then your problem should be solved.

But you must know that in order to install the driver successfully in Vista, you must first do the following :

1)In order to be able to install the driver (or any driver) successfully you must first turn off the User account Control of windows Vista. To do this go to Control Panel > User Accounts and on the bottom you should see an option "Turn User Account Control on or off" and turn it off. I think that a restart is needed to apply this.
2)After restarting, you can now find your .exe file of the Graphics card driver and Right Click on it and select "Run as Administrator". Then the installation should start.

After installing successfully, you can turn on again the User Account Control if you like.
But if you fail to do these 2 steps, you are more likely to have an Installation error when trying to install the driver.

There are also two Hotfixes available for vista so, i recommend that you install them too.

Guli87
Visitor

Theese drivers are very old- same problem, I still have only 64MB RAM on gpu...
Next problem: I can`t install that hotfix- "This update program does not support this computer model...
Whats wrong??? I have windows Vista (32bit)

nio_7
Visitor

Did you follow the 2 steps i told you before installation?
Well the driver that Sony has on the web-site may be old but it is compatible with your laptop.
You can try and download a compatible driver from your card from NVidia that it may solve you the problem, but then you may have other problems, like the FN buttons will cease to function...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Guli87 and welcome.

It will make no difference which driver you have installed - Vista will only ever report 64MB of memory on the GPU because there IS only 64MB of Graphics RAM on your nVidia chip.

Vista will not let you dedicate any RAM exclusively to graphics but instead Vista will allocate up to a total of 319MB when it is needed (provided it is available) - you cannot allocate any additional RAM on a permanent basis with Vista installed so Vista will always report 64MB.

:wink:

Guli87
Visitor

Thank`s man,

so if I going to install XP and Nvidia drivers it could be better?
Existing any new bios version for my graphic card?