Join now - be part of our community!

DVD Mystery

olafb
Visitor

DVD Mystery

I have a rc102. It has a pioneer dvd-/+ writer. I edit video on my pc mostly using Avid Liquid. That program allows you to burn directly from it to dvd. When I have tried it gets stuck half way through.

So, I use the programe to export the edited footage as either mpeg or avi and then import these into either click to dvd or Roxio. Both programs do exactly the same thing. They get stuck at about 10% of the recording process. Often this means that the dvd will not eject and the whole system needs to be shut down.

Why is this happening? From memory, I think I've burned dvds before on these programs with no problems. What can I do? Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Use Nero Click to DVD is at best simulating but just isn't reliable and Roxio died a natural death about 5 years ago. Try Pinnacle Studio 10 and convert your AVI files into mpegs after you have captured them not during. 2 gig of ram is recommended for all these task but Nero is really reliable even with 512 m of RAM for burning frame intensive footage.

olafb
Visitor

Thank you Tony for this. I will try what you suggest.

However, I am wondering whether you or someone may be able to help me further:

the Avid Liquid program I bought is a good program with which I have little to criticise. It can export files however you want them. I wouldn't have expected problems with burning dvds.

But, perhaps that was too optimistic. But, I would expect Sony's own program and Sony's own (supplied not made) dvd drive to work together. What could be going wrong.

Worse, now none of my programs even 'find' the dvd drive. They repeatedly say, "cannot detect recorder please check connections and make sure power is on". What can I do to 'show' the pc that it does have a recordable drive?

This is driving me mad.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

olaf

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi olaf,

Start>Right-click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

Expand DVD/CD ROM Drives.

Are there any yellow warnings against your Pioneer Drive?

:thinking:

olafb
Visitor

nothing at all - it says all is okay (which of course we know is not the case). I had tried what you suggested before reading it (my experiences in the past) and then decided to remove the drive to allow windows to detect it on restart. It did. However, it still wasn't found by any of the programs. So, I looked for any drivers or updates. I found something or other, gave it a bash and it is now working again. I am currently trying to burn something (a 14 min dvd) and we will wait and see.

But, all told, I still want to try and understand why this sort of thing happens. What is it that is going wrong? I have to say, dvds create an enormous amount of headaches. They are more tempermental than theatrical performers. Give me dv tape any day!

O

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Good Luck!!

Have you updated Click to DVD to the latest version? There was a conflict between Roxio and Click to DVD which they are supposed to have fixed.

All these DVD burning programs fight for their preferred DVD Drive settings. Ever since uninstalling Roxio I have not had any recent problems.

:wink:

olafb
Visitor

It worked! But, my experience says that just because it works once does not mean it will work another time. I think I am going to get rid of Roxio as well. I burnt the dvd using sony click to dvd.

Ideally, I want to burn from Liquid becuase it is so superior for creating dvd menus. There is nothing you cannot do. if I fail, Liquid allows you to export a dvd image (TS something or other). Do you know if I can use that in click to dvd to burn it? Frightening thing is - do I just satisfy myself with what I've got and be thankful or do I delve into the dark dungeons and try and get what I really want?.......

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

VIDEO_TS folders should be burnt with either Nero