Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot connect TV to VGN-NR38E

AlexGLove
Visitor

Cannot connect TV to VGN-NR38E

Hi all - I'm facing a terrible problem and I need your input.

I have a vgn-nr38e and I am trying to connect an external Panasonic TV using the VGA port.

The pre-installed Intel drivers for the video card are still there but when I connect the TV, it never finds it. No matter how many times I press the Fn+F7 button or trying to find it from the properties.

As an experiment, although I know that the original Intel drivers are not suitable for the vaio laptop (since the video drivers are "sony's version" of the original intel drivers), I downloaded the latest version from the Intel website and installed them. Then, the tv was found (!!) but the signal was black and white and flickering.

In other words, using the original drivers the second display cannot be found while using the false drivers, the TV is recognised but the transferred signal is black and white + flickering.

I am really lost so your help would be highly appreciated.

I am using a vga to s-video converter and cable to connect the notebook to the tv and also, sony's drivers are really old (dated back in 2007) and Sony has not provided any new updates for the 965 driver card.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alex and welcome to Club Vaio.

What VGA to S-video converter are you using?

You cannot just use a cable with VGA on one end and S-Video on the other like this one - this will never sync properly - you need a VGA to S-Video/Composite Video converter.

Something like these below but Google for 'VGA to TV' or 'PC to TV' and you will find many more: -

Two VGA to TV Converters

Or these from Amazon

:wink:

AlexGLove
Visitor

Well I used to have a toshiba notebook that had an s-video output and that is why I was just using a simple s-video to s-video cable to connect it to the tv.

That is why I assumed that this case was a similar one and I just bought a simple vga to s-video cable.

I ll give it a go by buying this vga to tv converter box..