Join now - be part of our community!

Can't find hard drive or OS

JennieS
Visitor

Can't find hard drive or OS

Hi!
Yesterday I thought it was time for me to format my Sony Vaio VGN-NR31E, so i rebooted the computer with the first Recovery-disc (that I created myself when I bought the computer). The Recovery-menu popped up and I chose "Restore complete system". It all went fine and when it reached 20 % it told me to put in the 2nd recovery disc, which I did. It then continued working til it reached 21 %, then I got an error message saying: "Error 309:69". I clicked "ok" and a new error message popped up saying "Error 319".

"Shoot" I though, clicked "ok" again and rebooted the computer and tried once again and again to restore complete system. It didn't work. So I thought maybe something's wrong with the 2nd disc, but how do I fix it without spending money on ordering a new one from Sony? I coulnd't come up with a solution, so instead I used the Command window (the one that looks like DOS) and I wrote "format c:". Wrote and done, but now here's the problem. When I tried to start the computer normally without a cd it said I didn't have an operating system and since my recovery dvd's didn't work I tried to use an old xp-recovery dvd instead of vista. This old dvd is really for an old computer, but I thought I could give it a shot. Wrong by me. I couldn't even start the installation because no hard drive was found. I read somewhere that XP can't find SATA hard drives, but what can I do about that when I don't even have an OS and can't change anything in BIOS?

Please help me if you can. I can't survive without my computer and the computer I'm on now SUCK.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thank you for all the help! I'll let you know if the new discs work whenever I get them.

You're welcome, yes please let me know if the new discs work.. :four_leaf_clover: