Join now - be part of our community!

AW11Z Broken Key (3 Months Old!!!)

Divine3000
Visitor

AW11Z Broken Key (3 Months Old!!!)

Hi,
Please could someone offer me some advice. My VAIO AW11Z notebook is just over 3 months old, yesterday I discovered the left arrow key has broken off the keyboard. I have checked the key & it seems perfectly fine, it appears one of the small metal prongs which the key-clip attaches to has snapped off the actual keyboard body itself.
Does anyone know if I would have to have the notebook replaced or fixed. Is this sort of thing actually covered by the warranty, the notebook certainly hasn't been subjected to any rough treatment?

Any help is appreciated...

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Divine3000,

as long as you haven't damaged the key socket on your Vaio you may be able to fix this yourself..

Sony Vaio support usually supply up to five keys and fixings free of charge, it may be useful to request a set of fixing instructions when you make the request for the keys. you can contact Sony Vaio support by either phone ( Mon - Fri) or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Divine3000
Visitor

Hi Thalmus, thank's for the reply.
There seems to be three metal hooks in the socket which the key fixing attaches to, it's one of these hooks which has snapped off. Do you know if this something which is user replaceable or does this mean the 'socket is damaged' and will have to be sent for repair?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Divine3000,

unfortunately the key fixings differ between models and unfortunately as I do not have a guide for your AW I'm not sure if the little hook is replaceable or not, hopefully Vaio support will be able to confirm this for you..

Divine3000
Visitor

It seems it has to go for repair, DHL is arriving tomorrow :slight_frown:
Apparently the service centre will determine whether the repair is covered by my warranty or not, but I could potentially be looking at a standard fee of £153.00 before parts & labour. I'm kinda shocked tbh

I should probably add, this is the second machine I've had since December. The first had to be replaced due to a faulty BD drive.