Join now - be part of our community!

Arrrgh! Keys not working!

AliClifton
Visitor

Arrrgh! Keys not working!

Hi guys,

Just recently ive noticed some of the keys on my keyboard have stopped responding/becoming less responsive.

I was wondering if anybody can give me any advice on what to do about this. I want to take off some of my keys to clean underneath them hopefully sorting this problem but i dont know how/if i can take the keys out.
Also if cleaning doesnt help does anybody know how/where i can get my keyboard repaired. My laptops almost certainly out of warranty so sony probably will charge alot for such a repair.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Ali

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Ali,

Before going down the route of removing keys which can be difficult to replace, I suggest that you get a can of compressed air and give the keyboard a good blast. This will have no effect if the problem is caused by liquid spillage but will clear out dust and general debris.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AliClifton
Visitor

il give it a try but i know for sure its not because of liquid spillage that im having a problem.

William
Visitor

il give it a try but i know for sure its not because of liquid spillage that im having a problem.

You don't mention the age of your keyboard?

My own TR5MP keyboard had the same problem after about 18 months.

If your keyboard is built like mine there is absolutely nothing to "clean" under the keys as it is just a membrane.

If the compressed air doesn't work a replacement keyboard probably will.

AliClifton
Visitor

yep mines about 18 months too. Havent tried compressed air yet the key sort of seems to be working again, it just doesnt respond quite as well as it did. If it comes to it how would i go about replacing my keyboard?

Thx Ali

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If we knew your Vaio model someone may be able to offer advice:smileywink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat