Join now - be part of our community!

Ad-Hoc Wireless Networking. (Please help, starting to loose hair!)

Exinferis
Visitor

Ad-Hoc Wireless Networking. (Please help, starting to loose hair!)

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this as I' ve been fiddling for about 3 months, on and off, and I can't work this out!

I've got a VGC-V2M and a Samsung Q10 notebook (wireless network included) I want to Wirelessly connect together. I bought a Belkin Wireless "G" Network Card (F5D7010) for the Vaio (why Sony failed to include Wireless Networking on this model is beyond me) and started on my never-ending hair-pulling journey of frustration!

I've done all the Microsoft faffing about with flash-disks and Network Setup Wizard. I tried setting up manualy. I tried "pinging" both computers, but they don't respond. I tried waving the Q10 infront of the Vaio while screeming, "Look, it's right here!!!!!". But I can't get the blasted things to talk to eachother!

Interestingly enough, they both seem to think they're connected as, when I turn either computer on, I'll get a message telling me I'm connected to the network and the signal is excellent...even when I take my notebook to my Mums house...which is 200 miles away from the vaio!

I really don't want to go to the expense of a router as I don't want to share internet connection, I only want to share files and use of the printer. I also use both computers in the same room, so don't need expensive equipment for whole home coverage.

I expect I'm missing something mind-numbingly simple, but I don't know what! If anyone can help, I'll be most grateful!

Exinferis.

17 REPLIES 17
Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Could it be a firewall issue? Have you tried without the firewall?

bantambob
Visitor

Greetings!

Well, I have had a simliar problem, and spent time pulling out the hair.
I have a PCV RS502 - no wireless card in either

I went a different way. I wanted to be able to access the internet from my wireless laptop (share it with the computer), and be able to print and share files.

I bought a linksys access point for around £50. I connected via the LAN to that, which enables any wireless computer to connect with the computer, at the same time.
As the broadband modem that I have has USB connection, not a RJ45, the main computer needs to be on to allow access for the rest of the network, if it had an RJ45, a broadband router would have been the answer, allowing up to 4 computers to share the connection and files.

Now here is where I met the brick wall similar to what you describe. Both computers could see each other, but nothing could be transmitted.:smileycry:
Eventually I then disabled Norton Firewall on both computers, and found that I could now see each other. Adding both computers IP addresses to the "Allowed" list enabled me to re-enable the firewall.
Only thing I need do now is ensure the main computer is on, and connected to the internet - not really a problem.

Hope this helps you.
Need supplies or help? try www.novatech.co.uk - Helpful, and have plenty of Linksys stuff.

Kind regards,

Peter Paine

Exinferis
Visitor

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies; I have to say that I posted this question on a couple of other forums and was ignored, so it's refreshing to find people who are actually willing to help!

I've tried turning off the firewall that came with SP2 on both machines, but this didn't seem to work.

I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just ditch the Belkin card and go for a router afterall...

If I buy a wireless router that physicly plugs into the network socket on the Vaio, do you think this might solve the problem?

I'm usualy quite good at sorting out computer-related puzzles, but this networking malarky has really gotten me stumped!

Thanks!

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

My feeling is that the router might be the answer.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If I buy a wireless router that physicly plugs into the network socket on the Vaio, do you think this might solve the problem?!

Yes I think that would make life easier

Exinferis
Visitor

Yeahhhhh, that's what I thought. :cry:

Right, I'll go have a look for one then! Any recommendations? Think I'll pass on Belkin as I don't seem to be having much luck with their products. :slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Exinferis
Visitor

Thanks for the link Kee-Lo. And this will plug in the Eithernet port will it? Save all the faffing about with the Belkin card I wasted money on.. .errr... I mean bought! (Sorry for sounding thick, but I'm only good with software...hardware fazes me completely!)

Exinferis
Visitor

Thanks for the link Kee-Lo. And this will plug in the Eithernet port will it? Save all the faffing about with the Belkin card I wasted money on.. .errr... I mean bought! (Sorry for sounding thick, but I'm only good with software...hardware fazes me completely!)