Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A57 and Elinchrom RX flash: no good image on LCD and viewfinder

SOLVED
profile.country.nl_NL.title
Erik0067
Visitor

Sony A57 and Elinchrom RX flash: no good image on LCD and viewfinder

Hi,

Recently I did a workshop model photography. During the workshop I used a professional external flash called the Elinchrom RX flash. My camera is the Sony Alpha 57.

Our models were standing in front of windows, bright light was shining through the windows. I had to set the ISO, aperture and shutter time to the bright light coming through the window (using manual (M) mode).

An Elinchrom transmitter was attached to the camera and this device triggered the Elinchrom flash. The flash lit our model.

Now my problem is: the pictured recorded was fine because the flash, but I am unable to see my model properly through the viewfinder (LCD display didn't work either), she was nothing but a black silhouette.

Is there any trick to get rid of this problem? How can I get a good view of my model before taking the picture?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Erik :slight_smile:

To get a view of the model through the Electronic View Finder, if you go into the menu and then find the second screen of the 'Custom' menu, you will see an option for 'Live View Display'. If you change the 'Setting Effect' to 'OFF' this should give you the desired image on the EVF.

There is some more information about this on page 60 in the A57 manual - you can look at an electronic copy here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4420756121.pdf

Let me know if this works,

Simon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Erik :slight_smile:

To get a view of the model through the Electronic View Finder, if you go into the menu and then find the second screen of the 'Custom' menu, you will see an option for 'Live View Display'. If you change the 'Setting Effect' to 'OFF' this should give you the desired image on the EVF.

There is some more information about this on page 60 in the A57 manual - you can look at an electronic copy here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4420756121.pdf

Let me know if this works,

Simon

According to the "how to post" there should be a "new message" icon on top of the page. There isn't so I will add my post to this as it concerns A57 and flash.

The A57 Fn>Flash shows that wireless flash is an option. I would like to use this and not the built in flash. I have a Nissin Di622 Mk2 which also has wireless option (the manual says channel 1 option A) but I can't get my camera to trigger the flash off camera. (It triggers OK by flash on the appropriate setting on the flashgun). Am I missing something, or am I asking the impossible? If the latter, what do I need to buy to work flash off the camera? 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there - I can't help with your question but the 'New Message' button is definately there in a blue box:

28-12-2013 17-49-12.jpg